October 20th – Football cheat Sheet
Bournemouth v Southampton
- Southampton have a full strength squad while Bournemouth have 3 players doubtful (Daniels, Fraser, and King)
- Bournemouth’s only league victory over Southampton in 11 attempts spanning 60 years came in March 2016
- The Cherries are vying to register three successive league wins in a single season for the first time since March 2016
- Southampton have scored one first-half league goal this season. Eight of their last nine goals have been scored after half-time.
- Bournemouth have the 4th highest xG (16.23) and goal tally in the league (16)
- Southampton rank 9th for xG (11.41) but 17th for Total goals (6) This might suggest the Saints have been lucky not to have scored more this season
Cardiff v Fulham
- Cardiff are without Mendez-Laing, Peltier, Ralls, and Ward but do have Aron Gunnarsson back
- Fulham are without Cairney and Bryan with Fosu-Mensah also a doubt
- Cardiff won the only two Premier League encounters between these sides, which came in the 2013-14 season
- None of the last 19 Premier League games between two newly-promoted clubs have ended in an away win
- Cardiff have the worst pass accuracy in the league with 73.31%
- Cardiff have the 3rd worst xG (7.52) tally in the league and the joint worst goals tally (4)
- Fulham rank 10th for xG (10.67) and 12th for total goals (9)
- No team in the league has a worse xGA (expected goals against) than Fulham (19.14) and No team has conceded more goals than Fulham (21)
Man City v Burnley
- Man City will have only two notable absentees in Gundogan and De Bruyne. De Bruyne is reportedly fit again but it’s unlikely he’ll feature
- Man City are the only Premier League side with a 100% winning record at home this season
- Sergio Aguero has scored six goals in six games against Burnley in all competitions
- Man City lead the league for xG (22.02) and Total Goals (21)
- Burnley have the 4th worst xG total this season (9.24)
- No team in the league is more proficient at blocking shots than Burnley. They’re blocking 5.94 per game
- Only 3 of Burnley’s last 20 away games in the Premier League have seen more than 4 goals
Newcastle v Brighton & Hove Albion
- Newcastle are without Rondon and Clark while Brighton are without Propper (Gross, Stephens, and Bong all doubts)
- Newcastle have won only two of their past 10 league and cup matches against Brighton
- Newcastle’s tally of two points is their lowest after eight games of a top-flight campaign.
- Newcastle have lost all four home league matches this term, conceding two goals in each.
- Newcastle have won only one of their last 14 fixtures in all competitions
- Brighton have only scored once in their last five league away fixtures at Newcastle
- Generating chances is a huge problem for the Magpies, they’ve the 2nd lowest xG in the league with only 7.3
West Ham v Tottenham Hotspur
- West Ham without Reid, Lanzini, Carroll, Wilshere, Chica and Sanchez (Masuaku and Snodgrass doubtful)
- Spurs without Alli, Vertonghen, and Rose (Wanyama doubtful)
- The Hammers have scored 11 goals in their past two competitive home games, as many as they had managed in the previous 10 fixtures at the London Stadium.
- West Ham are winless in seven London league derbies since beating Chelsea last December (D5, L2).
- Spurs have failed to score just once in 18 away league matches.
- Mauricio Pochettino has won only three of his 14 league matches against Manuel Pellegrini (D2, L9)
- Spurs have the 5th highest xG tally in the league (15.11) and the 6th highest goal tally (15)
- West Ham are conceding 12.56 shots per game which is the 5th worst in the league
Wolves v Watford
- Wolves are at full strength once again and will likely name an unchanged XI
- Watford are without Janmaat, Kabasele, Holebas and Chalobah
- Wolves are unbeaten in a club record six Premier League matches (W4, D2)
- Wolves could earn three successive top-flight home victories for the first time in 38 years.
- Nuno Espirito Santos side have only conceded one goal in their past seven games in all competitions.
- Watford are without a win in their last five league and cup matches, drawing two and losing three.
- Wolves have the 7th highest xG total this season with 12.9 but are underperming that number with only 9 goals scored
- In terms of defence Wolves have been the 3rd best in the league behind only Liverpool and Man City with an xGA of 6.98
Huddersfield v Liverpool
- Huddersfield are without Kongolo. Lowe, Mooy, Biliing, and Mbenza all doubts
- Liverpool will only be without Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Van Dijk, Salah, Mane, and Mulner picked up minor knocks on International duty but should be ok to start
- Huddersfield have failed to score in their last 6 home games in the Premier League
- Huddersfield have the worst attack in the league with an xG total of only 5.63 and a goal total of 4
- Liverpool as we know have the 2nd best tally this season with 17.58
- Liverpool have the joint best defence in the league along with Man City and the 2nd lowest xGA in the league with 6.25
- The Terriers last 10 matches against Top 6 teams reads W0 D2 L8 – 3 scored, 21 conceded